Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Foreigners Who Fell In Love With The Philippines : Will Hatton

Two weeks ago, we featured Nathan Allen of I Dreamed Of This for Escape Manila's  blog series called "Foreigners Who Fell In Love With The Philippines". This week, we are featuring another blogger/traveler who recently made a visit to the country. He is from the UK and has already traveled around the world for seven years. Let's know more about Will Hatton as he tells us the reasons why he love The Philippines.

Will getting inked by Whang-Od in Kalinga

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Will Hatton and I’m an adventure travel blogger. I’ve been backpacking around the world for nearly seven years and specialize in getting off the beaten track to hunt down real adventures and meet with awesome people. From the frigid peaks of Nepal to the steamy jungles of Venezuela; I like to travel. In just six weeks time I am beginning an 18 month over-landing adventure from the UK to Papua New Guinea via Europe, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, The Philippines and Indonesia! I cannot wait to return to The Philippines! I will be recording all of my adventures on my site; The Broke Backpacker

Will in the Mountain Province

When did you visit the Philippines?

May 2015

Why did you choose the Philippines?

I had heard such amazing things about both the people and the real adventure available here. I love tracking down off the beaten path stories and once I had heard about Whang Od… I had to go. 

What do you love most about the Philippines?

The islands? The beaches? The beer? The people? There are so many things to choose from, The Philippines is one of just a handful of countries where I could honesty see myself settling in the future. 

Your top 3 destinations in the Philippines and why?

Sagada - caving, climbing and mummies! - what more can any budding adventurer want!

Spelunking in Sagada

The Kalinga Highlands - Getting inked by Whang Od was one of the best experiences of my life.

Getting inked by Whang-od in Kalinga

Port Barton - This sleepy little fishing village was my favourite place to chill with a coconut, build sandcastles and get away from my laptop. 

Snorkeling in Prt Barton, Palawan

What's the least thing that you like about the Philippines, things that need improvement?

Infrastructure! - Getting around wasn’t always that easy. 


Will has definitely enjoyed his stay in the Philippines. He went to off-the-beaten destinations and visited Kalinga and Port Barton. The hospitality of the Filipinos has made his visit more fun! Follow his adventures around the world through his Facebook PageInstagram and Twitter account. 


Do you know any foreign traveler who also fell in love with the Philippines? Let me know their contact details so I can also feature them here. Please comment below or hit me an email at glen@escapemanila.com.

Together, we can encourage more people to visit the country and explore the Philippines. We need a sustainable tourism industry in the country. Always observe responsible tourism!

***Photos were grabbed from Will Hatton's blog and Facebook account.

No comments:

Post a Comment