Monday, September 14, 2015

Preparing to Live a Digital Nomad Life

Last night, I found myself staring blankly at the ceiling of my small pad. I don't know what really transpired but for some reasons I felt so alone and I was asking myself, is this the life I really want to live? At some point, I am very happy of where I am and what I am doing. But, on the other hand, I feel like there is a disconnect. There is something I want to do in my life. I tried to hit the sack but I couldn't, so I started to evaluate my life. It felt like a quarter life crisis but I was over that so many years ago.



I began to question my past decisions. Career-wise, I was already at the peak of my career when I left my last corporate job. I was the Group HR Manager of a big US firm in the Middle East. I began to imagine the life I would have if I pursued my career in the corporate world. I thought, I'd already be on top of the food chain. It occurred to me, what if I return to the corporate world? I know for a fact that I'll be able to land a job if I really want to. So, I updated my resume and my job profiles in my favorite job portals like Monster Gulf, Jobstreet, JobsDB, and WorkAbroad. I know I would start all over again but it really did not bother me much.

In the morning, an unknown number called me. I answered the call and it was from a local job agency. The recruiter asked me if I am available to work in the Gulf for a recruitment job. I didn't really know what to say, so I said I will get back to him.

The call made me think. In fact, I wasn't able to do work because my mind was busy thinking of so many possibilities. Should I go back to the corporate world or  should I continue working as a freelancer where I can work from home and basically anywhere on flexible hours?

After few hours of contemplating, I realized going back to the corporate world is not really what I want. I want to travel indefinitely. I want to explore more places, meet a lot of people and basically learn a new culture and language. This is what I want. This is the very reason I quit my job. Unfortunately, I was too busy looking for the right person to be with forgetting my passion for travel. In short, I was too busy looking for love - a love that would probably not come in a lifetime. 

So today, I will stop looking for love and concentrate on saving money to have the life that I want. Soon, I will live a digital nomad life. I will explore new places. I'll hit the road again. See you!

If you want to help me realize this dream, please donate any amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment